Capacity-Building Grants for Family Support Networks
Call for Applications – Deadline October 4, 2021
Are you a member of a Family Support Network?
Are you an organization who supports Family Support Networks?
Are you part of a ‘regular’ group of family/caregivers that support people with developmental disabilities, but haven’t formalized as a group?
Then you can apply for the Capacity Building Grant for Family Support Networks, 2021!
The Ontario Caregiver Organization is providing one-time grants to support new and existing Family Support Networks (FSN) across Ontario. These grants are intended to help strengthen and expand the critical networks of families, caregivers and supporting organizations that exist across Ontario that provide support to adults with developmental disabilities and their families.
We want to make it easier for families and caregivers of people with a developmental disability to find peer to peer support in their community, share information, and build connections for their own well-being and the people they care for.
This grant program is funded by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services (MCCSS). Grants from this call for applications will be awarded in October 2021. The deadline for applications is October 4, 2021. Please see below for the Application Guidelines and Application Form and FAQ. The Application form is available in both Word and PDF.
Who Can Apply?
This grant is open to Family Support Networks in Ontario that include members who are family or unpaid caregivers of an adult with a developmental disability. Organizations whose mandate is to support and empower family-led Family Support Networks may also apply. See the Application Guidelines for more information on who is eligible to apply.
What are Family Support Networks?
Family Support Networks are family-led groups or networks that provide peer-based, family/person-centred support for family members and other unpaid caregivers who are supporting people with a developmental disability. They play a valuable role in:
- Connecting families/unpaid caregivers to one another;
- Empowering members to advocate for, and support full equity, inclusion and citizenship of people with a developmental disability in Ontario;
- Providing an environment built on trust, information-sharing, networking and building relationships;
- Helping connect families/unpaid caregivers to appropriate supports/services/information that can assist their (adult) children in achieving their goals; and
- Supporting members through family support, education, networking, advocacy, and peer mentoring.
What is the goal of the Family Support Network Grant?
This funding is intended to enhance the capacity or sustain the activities of existing Family Support Networks and organizations supporting them, and to encourage the creation of new Family Support Networks. It is hoped that FSN grants will:
- Enhance and expand engagement of members that deepen social connections and belonging for families of adults with a developmental disability;
- Provide forums for families and caregivers to support and mentor each other;
- Provide opportunities for members to share local initiatives and information related to developmental services, family/caregiver support and Covid-19;
- Support administrative needs of the network;
- Expand local activities and create network-specific resources;
- Share information and best practices with other Family Support Networks and communities.
All proposed activities for funding must align with one or more of these objectives.
How Can I Apply?
Please review the Application Guidelines, then complete the Application Form. Applications must be submitted by midnight on October 4th to be eligible.
Still Need More Information?
If you’ve questions about the application, require support to complete it, or have a question about your idea, project or event, contact Karen Bell, firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also refer to our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). Information sessions are also being scheduled – click the links below to register: