Caregivers and Ontario Health Teams
The importance of caregivers has been recognized as a priority for Ontario Health Teams (OHTs). The Ontario Caregiver Organization (OCO) exists to improve the lives of Ontario’s 4 million caregivers who play a critical role in the healthcare system.
Caregivers offer unique knowledge about patients that can improve care delivery and health outcomes. As Ontario’s health care system is transformed through the creation of Ontario Health Teams (OHTs), there are many opportunities to include caregivers in the design and delivery of care models to support OHT priority populations.
Caregiver-focused strategies are critical as OHTs strive for better, more integrated care and results that are aligned with Quadruple Aim objectives. When caregivers are valued, supported, and included as part of the care team, it can lead to a better patient/caregiver experience, improved health outcomes for patients, improved provider experience, and cost efficiencies
Ways the Ontario Caregiver Organization Can Support Your OHT
Learning Events and Webinars:
- Strategies to Engage, Include and Support Caregivers in Ontario Health Team Planning and Service Delivery Models – March 22, 2023. Ontario’s 4 million caregivers play a critical role in our healthcare system. Hear from OHTs about how they engaged caregivers in the planning and design of their care models and its impact on caregiver support and inclusion in their community.
- The Essential Role of Caregivers in Improving Transitions and Addressing Alternate Level of Care: Insights, Leading Practices & Resources for Ontario Health Teams – October 22, 2022. Caregivers are essential members of the care team and can help address Alternate Level of Care (ALC) stays, improve transitions, and create better care models for patients. This webinar highlights the leading practices that enable caregiver participation as part of the care team, based on the ALC Leading Practices. Hear caregiver and expert insights, along with key considerations and resources.
- Supporting Caregiver Well-Being within Ontario Health Teams: Building Caregiver Resilience and Reducing the Risk of Caregiver Burnout – March 2, 2022. There is growing evidence that caregiver well-being is an important factor in achieving the Quadruple Aim of better healthcare outcomes, better patient/caregiver experience, better staff/provider experience, and improved value/efficiencies. Hear the caregiver’s perspective and learn about OHT strategies to connect caregivers to the supports they need.
- Partners in Care: Including Caregivers as Part of the Care Team – September 22, 2021. Hear from three Ontario Health Teams that have adopted caregiver initiatives to improve health outcomes and experiences for patients and caregivers within their OHT. Learn about evidence, key strategies, and resources to support the inclusion of caregivers as part of the care team.
- Supporting and Engaging Caregivers in Ontario Health Teams – February 3, 2021. Learn about resources and programs offered by the Ontario Caregiver Organization that can help OHTs to support and engage caregivers.
- Hear from Caregivers – Watch a video to learn from caregivers Carole Ann Alloway and Omar Khan about meaningful and authentic engagement of people with lived experience.
Connection to Resources and Tools
Our Care Provider Resource Centre offers tools and resources to support, include and engage caregivers in Ontario Health Teams:
- Resources to help you support caregivers
- Including caregivers as part of the care team
- Meaningful engagement and co-design with caregivers
We have tools that have been adapted and adopted by healthcare settings and are ready for implementation across your OHT.
Programs and Services for Caregivers
We offer a wide range of free programs and services to support caregivers across all of Ontario, including the 24/7 Caregiver Helpline, peer support and caregiver education. Connect with us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how caregivers in your OHT can benefit from our programs and services.
Guidance and Support
OCO is eager to meet with OHT leaders, partners, and caregivers to share ideas and provide guidance on strategies to recognize and support the important role of caregivers in your OHT. Connect with us at email@example.com to set up a brief introductory meeting.