Caregivers as Partners eLearning for Healthcare Providers
Setting the Foundations for Building a Culture of Care Partnerships
70% of the care provided to patients is by the caregiver. Yet caregivers say they don’t often feel like recognized, supported or valued members of the care team. Despite the healthcare system relying heavily on caregivers to care for patients, and the benefits of caregivers on patient health outcomes and system performance, healthcare providers often do not engage with caregivers.
This free-of-charge education series supports healthcare providers to better understand the caregiver role and learn about effective ways to include and communicate with caregivers as partners on the care team.
Collaborating with healthcare providers, patients and caregivers, The Change Foundation, through it’s Changing CARE initiative co-designed two course series to support healthcare providers in improving the caregiver experience. Developed using Bloom’s Taxonomy, adult learning principles and e-learning best practices, the open-source modules are rooted in open learning, are accessibility compliant and available at no cost on OCO’s Learning Library. Organizations that would like to integrate the series onto their own learning management system (LMS) can contact OCO for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Caregivers as Partners original series
• Understanding the Caregiver Experience
• Communicating with Caregivers
• Empowering Caregivers
- Provides practical education on how to engage, support and empower caregivers
- Applicable across health and community care to all providers and staff
- Modules include “Understanding the Caregiver Experience”, “Communicating with Caregivers”, and “Empowering Caregivers”
The Caregivers as Partners Mental Health & Addiction Series
• Nature and Impact
• The Burden of Care
• Hope and Recovery
- Highlights practical skills and resources to improve the caregiver experience by highlighting what makes the caregiving journey different when caring for someone living with mental illness and/or addiction
- Applicable to all staff and providers in the addiction and mental health sector
The Caregivers as Partners courses are available free of charge for individuals and organizations to use through the Ontario Caregiver’s Learning Library at https://learning.ontariocaregiver.ca/.
The Caregivers as Partners courses can also be published as per the requirements of learning management systems (LMSs) to support organizational adoption and implementation. Should you have any questions or concerns including inquires related to LMS integration, please contact email@example.com.